Atoms in association lists

I am not sure if this is just another interpretation or (more likely) a
	bug:

	I write
		(setq alist '((a . 1) b (c . 3)))
	then try
		(assoc 'c alist)

In Kyoto Common Lisp and in ZetaLisp, I get an error since the second
	element of alist is not a CONS.  In Golden Common Lisp, I get no
	error.  In fact
		(assoc 'b alist) ==> nil

I like the Gold Hill implementation, however.  It makes the processing of
	things like
		((:gettable-instance-variables a b)
		 :settable-instance-variables
		 (inittable-instance-variables c d))
	easier.

Is the GCLisp interpretation wrong?  If so, aside from RPLACD problems,
	wouldn't the GCLisp be slightly more useful?

-Ed Krall
Parallel Processing Program
Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation
3500 West Balcones Center Drive
Austin, Texas  78759
(512) 338-3406
ARPA: krall@mcc.com
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!mcc-pp!krall