Recursive COMPILE-FILE?

    Date: Fri 9 Jan 87 12:44:09-EST
    From: Stuart A. Malone <SAM@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>

    Is a Common Lisp compiler required to correctly handle forms such as:

    (eval-when (compile)
      (compile-file "utils"))

I think you need to define "correctly handle" a little more explicitly.

The form you have written says: if this form is encountered at top level
by the compiler, compile another file, do nothing with the results of
the compilation, and then resume the original compilation.  Aside from
the creation of a compiler output file in the file system, the only
effect of this would be to make the compilation take longer.  I assume
you really intended for something else to happen?