Case of symbols and their print-names

I agree with the common-lisp decision to equate case;  what I do not like
is the decision to upper-case on input.  I would much prefer it if the
print-name of a symbol was maintained in the case in which it was first
presented, even if for symbol-searching/matching/internal purposes, an
upper-case string is also recorded.  Then print functions can output
the mixed-case print-name (without escape characters, to preserve
print-read consistency).  Without this, editors which behave like
interlisp Dedit will be unpleasant, because they'll upper-case your
programs for presentation back to you.

-------