Achieving portability, how?

I thought the goals of Common Lisp were as stated on the first three
(arabic-numbered) pages of the manual, whereas you are calling for
Common Lisp to be a collection of very-close-to-identical
implementations on a wide variety of machines, with portability
virtually guaranteed.  That would probably be a useful thing to have, at
least if it were free, but it's a big change of direction and ought to
be discussed as a change of direction rather than as an obvious
clarification of what we were doing all along.