[JAR@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU: Problems with packages]

Date: Tue,  6 May 86 16:25:07 EDT
From: Jonathan A Rees <JAR@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject:  Problems with packages
To: KMP@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA

Funny, I've been running into these same problems myself recently.
Shadowing just doesn't work very well.

One interesting glitch I cam across is that it's desirable to be able to
say "use all symbols from package FOO except for X" but there's no way
to say so.  It doesn't work to shadow X if you want to inherit X from
some other package.  It doesn't work to enumerate the symbols you want
from FOO because it might be very large (e.g. FOO = LISP).  Is there any
3600 feature which lets one do this?  (:USE ((FOO :EXCEPT (BAR BAZ)) FOO2))

In T and MIT Scheme shadowing isn't a problem because it works
retroactively.

Jonathan.