[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
buffered output and prompting
- To: NGALL@BBNG.ARPA
- Subject: buffered output and prompting
- From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
- Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1986 01:52:00 -0000
- Cc: common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- In-reply-to: Msg of 21 Feb 1986 12:46-EST from NGALL at G.BBN.COM
- Sender: FAHLMAN@C.CS.CMU.EDU
I think it is definitely wrong for a FORCE-OUTPUT or FINISH-OUTPUT to
implicitly cause a newline to be written.
I agree. I don't think pg. 22 implicitly allows FORCE-OUTPUT or
FINISH-OUTPUT to postpend a newline.
I agree too. Therefore, I don't think that we need any new machinery in
order to do prompting. You just squeeze out the prompt with a
force-output, and wait for an answer. If some line-oriented systems are
so wedged that they can't type something and then wait for input on the
same line, then they will have to do the best they can and certain
things will be ugly.