Clearing the screen and other such things.

I am tempted to propose that there be a "font" whose character codes
range from 0 to #o377, and are interpreted according to the SUPDUP and
SUPDUP Graphics protocol.  There would be some function which returns
the 400 or so bits of state the describe the terminal.  If nothing else,
this will give people something generic to use in the n>2 years it will
take to agree on something more powerful.

[This is 75% serious, modulo the rough edges.  I've dealt with SUPDUP
quite a bit in the past and will right up a 80% complete proposal if
there is enough interest.]