Does FORMAT handle multiple values

Does format handle multiple values at all?  What I want to do is
something like the following (only this throws away everything but
the first value):

(format t "~S~%" (progn ... (values ...)))

Is there anyway to handle this (or should it be handling it but there
is a bug in our CLisp)?

BTW, I'm sure that I can do this with a values-list and the iteration
directive but I wanted to know if I can do this without knowing a
head of time whether I would be getting mv's back or not.

thanks,
ds
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!steiner
arpa:   Steiner@RUTGERS
-------