macr --> declares

    I complained about this a while ago, and at the time, no one seemed to
    think it worth changing the language definition. But it is a useful
    feature, and not having macros expand into declarations won't avoid
    having some macros needing to parse declarations.

It won't eliminate the need for *any* macro's declaration parsing; it
will make it easier to do correctly.  I suspect that at the time,
nobody had implemented a macro that parsed declarations correctly, and
it is entirely possibly that this is still the case.

I challenge you assertion that it is a useful feature---show me.

  Rob