Query about IN-PACKAGE

If the statement (IN-PACKAGE "FOO") is executed in a context where the package
"FOO" exists but does not USE the "LISP" package, should the "LISP" package be
added to the use-list of the package "FOO"?  A literal reading of the CL book
says YES.  My intuition says NO.  I had assumed that using IN-PACKAGE with one
argument is the recommended way to "enter" a package, but such usage assumes
no side-effects on the package itself.  Am I misinterpreting the intent of
the definition?
-------