[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Visible Hash-Tables
- From: Jon L White <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 17 May 88 23:55:13 PDT
- Cc: ELIOT@cs.umass.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: Barry Margolin's message of Tue, 17 May 88 18:13 EDT <19880517221347.5.BARMAR@OCCAM.THINK.COM>
re: . . . Also, there are no accessors
at all for some other types, such as RANDOM-STATE and HASH-TABLE (and
this is the one that prompted this discussion).
Guy Steele's "Clarifications" of December 6, 1985 added the necessary,
missing accessors for hash-tables: HASH-TABLE-TEST, HASH-TABLE-SIZE,
HASH-TABLE-REHASH-SIZE, and HASH-TABLE-REHASH-THRESHOLD. Lucid's
implementation added them almost immediately, although documentation
about their existence is somewhat recent.
These "Clarifications" were presented at the meeting which founded X3J13 --
for ANSI standardization of Common Lisp -- and represented a consensus
amongst the community back then. There was some subsequent discussion of
the points on this mailing list shortly after that meeting.
One unfortunate lacuna in the x3j13 "cleanup" committee's work is that there
is no explicit statement about the validity of Steele's "Clarifications".
In fact, most of the individual "Clarifications" haven't been specifically
and individually addressed.
-- JonL --