[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
(LOAD ... :VERBOSE T)
- To: Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU, common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- Subject: (LOAD ... :VERBOSE T)
- From: Christopher Fry <cfry@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU>
- Date: Thu, 13 Mar 86 03:06 EST
- In-reply-to: <FAHLMAN.12189596052.BABYL@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
- Reply-to: cfry%oz@MIT-MC.ARPA
It's too bad we chose those names, because they are confusing. :verbose
isn't very verbose and is not the most verbose of the available options.
I think we followed Maclisp in this. If the world were young, I would
suggest that :verbose print a comment for each item loaded, that the
default be to print just the "Loading FOO ...done." message, and that
there be a :silent keyword when you want to suppress all printout. But
this is probably not important enough to be worht an incompatible
Another possibility is to eliminate the :print arg, and have
:verbose take the values of :silent :file :forms .
I agree with Scott that the default should be to print
something like: "Loading FOO ...done." [my ":file" option]
I can't stand getting the *silent-treatment* for long computations,
as is conventional in UNIX.