[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Floating Point Computation
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Floating Point Computation
- From: mcvax!nplmg1a.uucp!jrp@seismo.CSS.GOV
- Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1986 20:38:00 -0000
- Return-receipt-to: mcvax!nplmg1a.uucp!jrp@seismo.CSS.GOV
I hope that the following paper will put final rest to the speculations
on floating point arithmetic:-
A Simple but Realistic Model of Floating-Point Computation,
ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software Vol. 7 No. 4, Dec 81.
(Material is also to be found in the ADA reference manual)
Do not assume that the arithmetic on your machine is implemented
correctly (in hardware). Do not assume (particularly for UNIX-based
systems) that the text -> internal conversion routines are any good. Do
not assume that the elementary functions are any good on your machine.
You will not go far wrong!