[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
precision, accuracy, and floating conversion (GJC's comment)
- To: fateman@DALI.BERKELEY.EDU
- Subject: precision, accuracy, and floating conversion (GJC's comment)
- From: "George J. Carrette" <GJC@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
- Date: Mon, 27 Jan 86 19:09:33 EST
- Cc: common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- In-reply-to: Msg of Mon 27 Jan 86 11:52:37 PST from fateman at dali.berkeley.edu (Richard Fateman)
"GJC's view that a floating point number x means an interval
[x-epsilon,x+epsilon] for some unknown epsilon, is not ..."
"...that is *not* GJC's view"
Quote GJC again (sigh):
"'nuff said, but what about the PI bit? If the PI bit is set then
floating point numbers are to be taken as a multiplier of PI. If the E bit
then as a multiplier of (EXP 1)..."