[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Arrays with zero dimensions.
- To: greek@DEC-HUDSON.ARPA, common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- Subject: Arrays with zero dimensions.
- From: David C. Plummer in disguise <DCP@SCRC-QUABBIN.ARPA>
- Date: Sun, 9 Jun 85 14:56 EDT
- In-reply-to: The message of 6 Jun 85 15:30-EDT from greek@DEC-HUDSON
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 85 15:30:40 EDT
Is it really of cosmic importance that we allow dimensions of zero?
We sure could invent a lot of baggage to handle it correctly, but...
We already have it:
(array-dimensions "") => (0)
The problems presented so far only come up when the number of dimensions
is 2 or more. My answer to that is that such arrays have legitimate
structure and are therefore meaningful. Zero-dimensional arrays
likewise have legitimate structure, which is why I assume they were
included in the language.