[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
mysterious declarations off in left field
- To: fateman%ucbdali@Berkeley (Richard Fateman)
- Subject: mysterious declarations off in left field
- From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@CMU-CS-C.ARPA>
- Date: Sun, 05 May 1985 18:12:00 -0000
- Cc: common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- In-reply-to: Msg of 5 May 1985 13:37-EDT from fateman%ucbdali at Berkeley (Richard Fateman)
- Sender: FAHLMAN@CMU-CS-C.ARPA
Don't packages offer an alternative way of scoping declarations?
Sure, but packages normally function at a very large grain size.
Sometimes you want to add something to a package without having to scan
the whole package definition to ensure that some fool has not declared X
to be a quadruple-float. If I bind a lexical X, that's my X and I'm not
interested in anyone else's views about what type X's in general should