[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
I'm the cretin
- To: Rem%IMSSS@SU-SCORE.ARPA
- Subject: I'm the cretin
- From: Guy.Steele@CMU-CS-A.ARPA
- Date: Thu, 13 Dec 1984 06:19:00 -0000
- Cc: common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- In-reply-to: "Rem@IMSSS's message of 23 Nov 84 17:41-EST"
I agree that the code font in the CL manual is terrible. However,
everything else the typesetter had to offer me was worse. We spent
about a month just trying to cobble together pieces of several fonts
that didn't look too terrible together and between them provided the
full printing ASCII character set in a fixed-width form. Commercial
typesetters simply are not used to printing programs; there are very
few good-looking fixed-pitch fonts. Indeed, there are very few fixed-pitch
fonts, and most of them are purposely designed to look "computerish".