Pathname Conventions

While all of Moon's observations on this subject are correct and
reflect our experience, I nevertheless think it would be quite
unwise to nail down the host/pathname-parsing relationship into
the standard at this time.  The corresponding set of features in
the Lisp Machine system at this time is the subject of an ongoing
debate, and in my mind, no proposed solution to the problems
involved has overriding merit.

In general, I feel queasy about the specification of the pathname
system being in the spec at all.  I think it is premature.