Substitute-if

    Date: Friday, 10 June 1983, 16:10-EDT
    From: Bernard S. Greenberg <BSG%SCRC-TENEX%MIT-MC@SU-DSN>
    Subject: Substitute-if
    To: Common-Lisp%su-ai%SCRC-TENEX%MIT-MC@SU-DSN

    Before we cast the language in stone, I would like some resolution
    of why substitute-if/nsubstitute-if have argument orders incongruous
    with the rest of the if/if-not's.

I don't actually see what's incongruous about it.  In the Laser edition,
all of the -if/-if-not functions replace the "item" argument with the
"test" argument; in other words replace the object being searched for
with the function to search for it.  substitute-if doesn't have the
test as its first argument, but then substitute doesn't have the item
as its first argument either.