DEFCONSTANT and EQ

    Date: Sun, 12 Jun 1983  16:15 EDT
    From: Scott E. Fahlman <Fahlman@CMU-CS-C>
    All I am saying is that the description of EQ
    should contain a note that because of possible stack-allocation and
    other optimizations, implementations should not depend on (EQ X X) if
    the value of X is any kind of number, character object, or byte
    specifier, even though this might work most of the time in most
    implementations.  They can depend on EQL.

EQL doesn't work on byte specifiers in your implementation, if I remember correctly.