Re: Top-level forms

Guy.Steele@CMU-CS-A.ARPA

Comments aside about compilng to "save space" etc (Interlisp *does*
GC the compiled code objects, but still doesn't compile the top-level
forms), I'm glad you used the phrase "equivalent to", for that
allows a compiler/processor merely to macro-reduce the top-level
form to standard primitive lisp and output that.

Remember in MacLisp when we met the problem of top-level forms
that used macros available to the compile-time environment, but not
installed in the load-time environment?

Still, this isn't a simple problem, for GSB (I think) had to have a
way to defeat the macro-reduction of such forms, in one instance.