Package names

I disagree totally with your view of what would constitute an
unreasonable restriction in package names.  There is no parallel here
with what things should be legal in strings.  It is no additional
cognitive load on real users to remember that package names are supposed
to look like names: alphanumeric characters stuck together.  Only users
who want to poke around beyond the limits of good taste would have to
remember to avoid /, :, |, and whitespace.

I prefer the very simple scheme proposed in my earlier message.  I would
go along with a decision to treat package names EXACTLY like symbols
with respect to case and escape conventions.  I am adamantly opposed to
introducing yet another set of hairy case conventions for string names.

-- Scott