Re: DLW's message and Fateman's FLOOR.

Right.

Most of the time the complaint about FLOOR being expensive
doesn't apply, as it will get compiled down to one result.
But what about when it is a tail recursive call. The compiler
can't know whether both values are needed. How about having
some way of declaring that a function will only return one
value: e.g.

(DEFUN USER-MOD3 (X)
  (DECLARE (SINGLE-VALUE USER-MOD3))
  (MOD X 3))

where we probably want something less ugly.

I suspect (as long as we don't arbitrarily start loading up all
sorts of random functions with multiple values) that this would
only be needed very infrequently.
-------