overloading defstruct accessors

   Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 16:01:08 EDT
   From: fritzson@PRC.Unisys.COM

   The following example can be viewed as an attempt to overload the
   accessor function "get-a" by making it access the "get-a" fields of
   both a "foo" structure and a "bar" structure.

   -------
   (defstruct (foo (:conc-name ())) get-a)

   (defstruct (bar (:conc-name ()) (:include foo)) get-b)

   (setq afoo (make-foo :get-a 1))

   (setq abar (make-bar :get-a 2 :get-b 3))
   -------

   One could argue that the second defstruct redefines the accessor
   function "get-a" so that it will only work on bar-s. On the other
   hand, it is relatively easy to implement this so that "get-a" will
   work both on foos and bars.

   Xerox Common Lisp (Lyric release) objects to
	   (get-a afoo)
   by complaining that "afoo is not a bar". Franz Allegro Common Lisp
   allows it. I haven't tried any other lisps.

Lucid Common Lisp originally (in Release 1.0) had the behavior you
describe in Xerox Common Lisp.  This was changed in later releases so
that the GET-A defined by FOO is not replaced by the GET-A defined by
BAR.  There is no structure slot access type checking in Franz Allegro
Common Lisp or MIT-derived Lisp Machines, other than making sure the
argument is an array whose length is greater than the index of the
slot being accessed.

   Is there a consensus on what an implementation of Common Lisp should
   do with this?

My personal opinion is that it is a bug for BAR to define GET-A such
that only objects of type BAR are allowed.  It is easy to overlook
this problem, as I did until someone discovered it.  It is too bad
(but probably not offically wrong) that many implementations of
DEFSTRUCT don't do any type checking.  I think this is a legacy of
DEFSTRUCT's origin as "just a way to give mnemonic names to array
slots."  For example, in Zetalisp the default was for DEFSTRUCTs to be
unnamed, rather like :TYPE VECTOR in CL.

	   -Rich Fritzson
	    ARPA: fritzson@prc.unisys.com
	    UUCP: {sdcrdcf,psuvax1,cbmvax}!burdvax!fritzson

   P.S. Please, no complaints about the stylistic appropriateness of
   using (:conc-name nil) in this way. This was written by someone who
   should be using CLOS.