dlw's OPEN proposal

The :APPEND keyword may be misleading in conjuction with Sesame's
"write once" files.  I suppose you could copy the contents of the
:APPEND'ed file into a new one and start from there and consider this
an implementation detail.  Where would stuff like this be explained in
the manual?  Where would the LM people's extensions be explained?  I
realize that these explanations are to be in the "red pages", but does
that mean that I have to look up both the white pages and red pages
documentation for a system fun?  What if it's also extended in the
yellow pages?  Will red and yellow pages be inserted into the middle
of the white pages at "appropriate" places?  Pointers to them?
-Joe
-------