Question about declaration

    Yes, but you haven't really declared those values, have you?
    All you've done is declare that you can have a "list of them".

    Now, if there was a "sequence-enumerated" type (as we have
    in our UIMS), this would be a different matter.  I.e.
    (function foo ((and list (sequence-enumerated
                                       symbol integer symbol integer)))
     	      (values &rest (and list (sequence-enumerated
                                        symbol integer symbol integer))))

    But what you'd *like* to know here is that the individual elements are
    integers;
    i.e.
    (function foo ((list integer))
    	      (values &rest (list integer)))

    where the new argument to LIST does *NOT* work like ARRAY (meaning "a kind of
    list specialized to contain only integers"), but rather means "a list whose
    elements are all INTEGER's".

    There is a big gap between being able to declare the existence of
    a variable number of arguments or values and being able to declare
    their type.

It is possible to define (deftype LIST-OF (ty) ...)  such that
(function foo (&rest (list-of integer)) (values &rest (list-of fixnum))))
makes sense. This can't be done in the normal way with
SATISFIES, but can be done by consing up a gensym and attaching the
list-of predicate to it. This is one of the uglier kludges in Common
Lisp, since it is a workaround for the lack of parameterized types.

The unresolved and truly ambiguous problem is whether &REST LIST means
that the rest arg is a list (as usual) or that the elements of the
&REST arg are lists.

Another ambiguity is whether returning type T allows the returning
of any number of values, i.e., is T > (values T T), or
T > (values &rest T).

...mike beckerle