changing the value of *package* within a load?

When our students log into one of our Lisp Machines (Xerox 1108s) an
init file is loaded that initializes certain things for them.  One of
the things I would like the init file to set is the value of
*package*.  Unfortunately the load function protects *package* and
reinstates the value it had before load was called.  Is there any way
(even a kludge) that I can permanently change the value of *package*
when a file is being loaded with load?
(I realize that one solution is to code my own version of load that
doesn't save away *package*.)

-Thanks, David