LET-CONSTANT and DECLARE (CONSTANT

    Date: Monday, 3 August 1987  16:09-EDT
    From: AITG::VANROGGEN <vanroggen%aitg.decnet at hudson.dec.com>
    To:   common-lisp <common-lisp at su-ai.ARPA>
    Re:   LET-CONSTANT and DECLARE (CONSTANT

    Related question: are quoted constants in compiled functions "read-only"?
    How about initial values for DEFCONSTANTs?

Yes and yes.  I believe that assuming that quoted constants are immutable
is widely accepted.  If the inital value to defconstant is quoted,
that the constant value would also be immutable.  In order to conclude
that constants are constant in the general case of an arbitrary
expression, I appeal to taste and common sense.

  Rob