compile-time processing of REQUIRE

You've jumped ahead into another problem -- that of the pervasiveness of
the COMPILE context.

But I was talking merely about the compiler's interface -- when and where
it decides to wrap an eval-when(eval compile load) around a form.  When the
user supplies his own wrapper, e.g.

   (eval-when (eval load) (require "tarnation"))

then this form is not implicitly "wrapped", since the user's actions take
precedence over the implicit activity.  That is, Lucid's compiler does
NOT convert the above form into anything like.

   (eval-when (eval load)
     (eval-when (eval compile load) (require "tarnation"))
   )

I wonder if this view of "implicit wrapping" is used in other compiler?

-- JonL --