[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Extension to MAP [if the shoe doesn't fit?]
- To: navajo!Fahlman%C.CS.CMU.EDU@navajo.stanford.edu
- Subject: Extension to MAP [if the shoe doesn't fit?]
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Jon L White)
- Date: Thu, 26 Mar 87 10:20:22 PST
- Cc: navajo!gls%THINK.COM@navajo.stanford.edu, navajo!common-lisp%SAIL@navajo.stanford.edu
- In-reply-to: "Scott E. Fahlman"'s message of Wed, 25 Mar 1987 20:03 EST
How about, if the first arg to MAP is an integer, it specifies
which argument should be clobbered? This doesn't allow an
unrelated sequence to be be clobbered, of course, but it does
allow the common case of an in-place MAP operation.
This is a joke, right?
There are a number of places where the sequence functions are like
a size 15 shoe -- it just doesn't quite fit a lumber jack, and is
too non-specific for a ballerina.
Could I suggest that these "complaints" be considered evidence for
the need of a simple iteration paradigm? Each man can then cobble
his own shoe and wear it.
-- JonL --