Re-defining COMMON-LISP symbols

Obviously we need a clarification about whether you can redefine CONS
and friends, globally or with FLET/LABELS.

    There is a closely related operation, which consists of defining a new
    symbol of the same name as an existing symbol in COMMON-LISP, and
    shadowing that symbol in some package of the users choice.  This operation
    is necessary, in my view, for defining new systems on top of COMMON-LISP.
    A number of systems currently being built depend on this functionality.

I don't see any question here.  MY-PACKAGE:CONS is a different symbol
from LISP:CONS, and you can give it whatever definition you want.  This
doesn't even confuse macros, since they deal in symbols and not print
names.

-- Scott