Packages

This idea has probably been brought up before, but as a solution to the
'packages problem', without really any loos of functionality, I propose
the following:  To have symbols be universal, but their values and
function definitions (maybe extended to all properties) be
package-tied.  Thus symbols are symbols and are EQ to each other in all
the expectable cases, etc.., but we have the functionality of differing
name spaces.  This could be implemented by having a PACKAGE 'property'
attached to different values of a symbol's property..