More words on the scoping of declarations (FTYPE)

    My reading of the manual supports the claim that FTYPE is not
symmetrical with TYPE.  TYPE may only be used with a binding, while
FTYPE is shown in examples as being used "pervasively" on a global
identifier.  If FTYPE was in fact like TYPE, then you couldn't use it
at all, since currently no declarations are allowed in functional
binding forms.

    Whether this is desirable is another point altogether.  We should
probably clean up this gratuitous inconsistency if we are going to
make sweeping changes to the declaration scoping rules.

  Rob