PRINT

If we get to a point where we're capable of contemplating incompatible
changes to CL, I would strongly urge the group to consider renaming
PRIN1 to PRINT (and, obviously, renaming what's currently called PRINT
to something else). Sandra's query is not an isolated one. There is
wide-spread confusion about what it means to "print" something because
the operator named PRINT does more than just "print" a thing. eg,
the :PRINT-FUNCTION specifier in DEFSTRUCT effectively defines how to
PRIN1 something, not how to PRINT something, which I think most novices
are apt to be confused by. I think that thoughtful renaming of a few
functions to make the English and the Lisp be consistent would go a
long way toward fixing this kind of confusion.