Are strings adjustable arrays?

    Date: Thu, 25 Sep 86 09:23:17 EDT
    From: "Stephen E. Robbins" <STEVER%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>

    I have an application that does a lot of string hacking.  For
    efficiency reasons, we'd like to mutate our strings rather than
    creating new ones all the time.  It seems like strings which are
    adjustable arrays with fill pointers are what we want.  I
    gather from page 299 that, while strings MAY have fill pointers,
    there is no mechanism for having them automatically created
    that way.

    Is that the intention, or is there actually some way to have
    strings created with fill pointers?

To get either fill-pointers or adjustability, you have to use
make-array.  make-string is not enough.
	(make-array <size>
		    :element-type 'string-char
		    :fill-pointer 0