arrays

If the LISPM people think indirect arrays are really usefuly only for
weird hacks (like accessing their bitmap), then I'm all for flushing
them from Common Lisp (just to keep things clean).  However, I'm not
sure this makes anything more efficient, and thus rejoicing on the part
of implementors may be premature.  Isn't an indirection step necessary
anyway to implement growing arrays (except on the LISPM where they can
conditionally indirect cheaply)?  I had always presumed that would be
the same indirection that implemented indirect arrays.  Am I confused?