array proposal

The fact that EQUAL behaves differently on strings than on other vectors
seems to me to be a little ugly.  Why not have EQUAL descend into all
sequences?  This allows you to avoid descending into multi-d arrays, if
that's bad for some reason, and causes the correct behavior for lists
and strings, and (in my opinion) more useful behavior for other sequences,
since you can always use EQL for the current effect on non-string vectors.