declarations

No, documentation is not the same thing as declarations.

I think you are overreacting if you read my mail as meaning that
Symbolics Common Lisp is going to throw away all declarations.
I was not talking about any particular implementation.  The
Common Lisp spec, unless I am quite mistaken, is explicit
in saying that implementations are allowed to discard all
declarations except SPECIAL declarations.  I don't know about
you, but I am hoping that there will be other implementations
of Common Lisp someday than the ones that are already under way
now, and this is getting to be a moby big language; part of
the idea of declarations was that an implementation need not
bother with them if it doesn't want to, and this is the sort
of thing that will help people from being discouraged before
they start a new implementation.