[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Staus of proposals 10, 11, and 12
- To: Scott E. Fahlman <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>, David C. Plummer <DCP@QUABBIN.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Subject: Staus of proposals 10, 11, and 12
- From: David C. Plummer <DCP@QUABBIN.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Date: Tue, 29 Jul 86 11:50 EDT
- Cc: Common-Lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- In-reply-to: <FAHLMAN.12226438578.BABYL@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1986 23:53 EDT
From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Proposal #10: Forms That Allow Declarations
I did question the need/usefullness of allowing declarations in
MACROLET. Nobody has responded and I still can't think of any.
It would come as a nasty surprise to people if MACROLET were different
from FLET and LABELS in this respect.
I'm not saying we shouldn't do it, I'm saying we should acknowledge we
don't know what to do with it yet. There have been parts of the
Symbolics documentation that say "We think this is useful but haven't
figured out for what yet. We encourage experimentation and reports of
its usage." I may have thought of one usage:
(macrolet ((print-them (list)
`(mapc #'print ,list)))
(declare (notinline mapc))
If anybody else believes this, perhaps it should be one of the examples?