[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Definition time macros
- To: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Subject: Definition time macros
- From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Date: Tue, 15 Jul 86 17:48 EDT
- Cc: Common-Lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- In-reply-to: <860715154038.7.KMP@RIO-DE-JANEIRO.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 86 15:40 EDT
From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1986 14:55 EDT
From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Date: 15 Jul 86 12:07-EDT
I'd like to see this tightened up to indicate that macros expand
once, as in a compiler, and are not expanded over and over each
time an expression is interpreted.
I feel very strongly that requiring this is a bad idea.
I feel very strongly that requiring this would be a very good idea. I
think Scheme has a big lesson to teach us here. They have made lexical
analysis occur at a well-defined time and it has made program-understanding
a much more straightforward issue.
But they can't even agree among themselves what the semantics of macros should be!