Definition time macros

    Date: Tue, 15 Jul 86 15:40 EDT
    From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>

	Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1986  14:55 EDT
	From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

	    Date: 15 Jul 86 12:07-EDT
	    From: mike%gold-hill-acorn@LIVE-OAK.LCS.MIT.EDU

	    I'd like to see this tightened up to indicate that macros expand
	    once, as in a compiler, and are not expanded over and over each
	    time an expression is interpreted.

	I feel very strongly that requiring this is a bad idea.

    I feel very strongly that requiring this would be a very good idea.  I
    think Scheme has a big lesson to teach us here. They have made lexical
    analysis occur at a well-defined time and it has made program-understanding
    a much more straightforward issue.

But they can't even agree among themselves what the semantics of macros should be!