Re: exit-to-system

A number of arguments seem to be of the form "Well, when I see the word
BYE I think it might mean turn off the power on my system..."

So lets go for a more specific name than QUIT (or EXIT) , which could
mean QUIT of any number of things (QUIT the process, QUIT the debugger
loop, QUIT this top-level loop, etc.) For example,

EXIT-LISP &optional forever 					[Function]

The exact behavior EXIT-LISP is, of course, implementation dependent.
Its purpose is to leave the running Lisp system. In Lisp systems that
run under an operating system with a command shell, this command returns
you to the operating system shell. The optional parameter "forever"
indicates whether there's any intention to return to this Lisp.

Interlisp in all of its implementations has had (LOGOUT) forever.
(LOGOUT) under Unix, VMS and Tops-20 meant "go to operating system". In
Interlisp-D, (LOGOUT)  means "leave but save enough to let me come back"
and (LOGOUT T) means "leave without saving state".

A call to (LOGOUT) *can* return -- when you restart! It doesn't mean
that it "failed".

LOGOUT seems like a good model for what is wanted here. Users moving
from Interlisp-10 to Interlisp-D found it a natural analog, even though
what it did was very different.