[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Achieving portability, how?
- To: COMMON-LISP@SU-AI.ARPA
- Subject: Achieving portability, how?
- From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Date: Wed, 18 Jun 86 18:46 EDT
- In-reply-to: The message of 18 Jun 86 12:03 EDT from Rem@IMSSS
In reply to REM's message:
I thought the goals of Common Lisp were as stated on the first three
(arabic-numbered) pages of the manual, whereas you are calling for
Common Lisp to be a collection of very-close-to-identical
implementations on a wide variety of machines, with portability
virtually guaranteed. That would probably be a useful thing to have, at
least if it were free, but it's a big change of direction and ought to
be discussed as a change of direction rather than as an obvious
clarification of what we were doing all along.