(MAKE-BROADCAST-STREAM)

Calling (MAKE-BROADCAST-STREAM) to make a null output stream is about
as perspicuous as doing (APPEND X '()) to COPY-LIST X... which may
account for why I hadn't thought to do it. In spite of its grunginess,
it does at least satisfy my need (if not my want). So perhaps we could
still think about offering *NULL-OUTPUT-STREAM* or some such to free
some people from the need to be so clever.

... reminds me, though. I wouldn't mind it if CL offered COPY-STRING
and maybe even COPY-CONS -- again for the sake of perspicuity.