packages and portability

I don't have anything to add to this discussion, other than to mention
that what Symbolics does is essentially identical to what Ugo Buy
described in his message of 16 June, except that the default value
for the :USE argument to MAKE-PACKAGE and IN-PACKAGE is as documented
in CLtL.  LISP is a nickname on the package named COMMON-LISP.  The
package containing our extended version of Common Lisp is named
SYMBOLICS-COMMON-LISP, the same as the name of the language it
implements except in all upper case.