[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Namestring&pathstring returning shared structure
- To: Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU
- Subject: Re: Namestring&pathstring returning shared structure
- From: Alan Snyder <snyder%hplsny@hplabs.HP.COM>
- Date: Sunday, June 22, 1986 14:30:31
- Cc: common-lisp@su-ai.ARPA
- In-reply-to: Your message of 21-Jun-86 12:41:00
CLU solved this problem by making STRING a different type than ARRAY of
CHARACTER, and by making STRINGs immutable. We found having immutable STRINGs
to be extremely useful: one can pass a string to a procedure or return it from
a procedure without worrying that someone might destructively modify it! This
idea was such a win that a later revision of CLU had both immutable and
mutable arrays and immutable and mutable records.
Something to think about for Common Lisp 2000...