RE: format ~nC

>Is there a good reason ~C doesn't take an arg?  I just naively tried
>	(format t "~&~VC~VC~%" count-1 char-1 count-2 char-2)
>and was rewarded with one occurance of each character each time; the
>counts had been thrown away.  ~~ takes an arg.

The FORMAT directives that output a constant character (~~, ~%, ~&, and ~|)
take a count prefix parameter and use up no arguments.  The ~C directive
is more like ~A, ~S, ~G etc., these all output some representation of the
next argument in the call to FORMAT and  none of them take a count parameter.

Is that a good reason?  Hmm...

-- Rich
------