Where Pure Common Lisp lives

    Date: Fri, 23 May 86 20:54 EDT
    From: David A. Moon <Moon@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>

      Date: Fri, 23 May 1986  14:57 EDT
      From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

      Hmmmm...is USER allowed to start up with random local extensions in it,
      or is it supposed to inherit ONLY from the LISP package, which is now
      pure Common Lisp?  How have people been reading this?  Part of my
      objection to making LISP pure was because I assumed that this meant USER
      had to be pure as well, which means that we need another standard place
      to look for the default local environment.

  I always assumed USER was supposed to have everything in it.  I guess this
  is not written down anyplace, though.  Sigh.
I have assumed that USER should contain everything as well.  One
reason being the desire to minmize complexity (knowledge of the
package system) for new users.  New users will frequently use local
extensions.