Re: EVAL-WHEN (really symbol-function)

I think it is time we back off for a second from what is in the book, and
just think about what makes sense for Common LISP.  I would advocate
making the restriction I have suggested explicit:  "It is an error to
setf the symbol-function to an object not of type FUNCTION."  Also, the
implementation should be at liberty to store the functional interpretation
of a lambda or symbol if that is what setf is given.  Note that this
doesn't restrict the implementation from setting it in the case of a macro
or special form.  My real concern is that no gain is made by making
the function cell completely general, and there are some losses (consistency
with (setf (macro-function...)) and performance).  It seems every time
we get into a discussion about an ambiguity, we always make a change that
tends to make the language more complicated.  Why can't we try for simplicity
this time (I really don't see that we are losing anything)?
All this hidden hash concept does for you is give the user one function cell
and the implementation an other one.  What good is the user function cell if
the system isn't even using it?

If anybody has a reason why the restriction I mention above interferes with
execution of correct code, please say so (don't tell me about doing an
EQL test before and after a (setf (symbol-function...)) because that is what
we are disputing.  I mean when would someone legitimately write a piece of
Common LISP with non-function items in the function cell (unless they
were simply using it as a value cell)?  Until someone can generate such an
example, I see no reason why some people are so tenaciously insisting that
anything can be stored in the funtion cell.

Consider what happens if you allow arbitrary objects in the function cell
as in the following example:

(setf x '(lambda () "Hi"))
(setf (symbol-function 'y) x)
(setf (third x) "Bye")
(y)

What is this supposed to return?  In an implementation which guarantees that
the value stored really is EQL to the one given, it seems reasonable that
"Bye" would be returned.  But in order to make that work, the implementation
couldn't use the hidden hash method because it wouldn't reflect the change.
It would still have to interpret each time!  You can always say that it doesn't
have to reflect the list surgery, but then what's the point of requiring that
the result be EQL?