(PROCLAIM '(IGNORE ...))

    Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1986  11:33 EST
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

	Where in the manual does it say or imply that a lambda-list keyword
	cannot be used as a normal variable?  To the contrary, pg 60 says,
	"They are ordinary symbols each of whose names begins with an
	ampersand."

    Hmmm...I guess it never comes right out and says that, probably because
    it was too obvious to mention.  At least, it seems very clear to me that
    the lambda-list keywords cannot be used as normal variables in
    lambda-lists.  Most such uses would screw up the parsing, and any that
    are not ambiguous by would be confusing as hell.  Most exisitng
    compilers warn about any lambda-list keywords that seem to be out of
    order in a lambda list, and some compilers issue a warning about any
    unknown symbol starting with an ampersand.  Such symbols are not
    illegal, but a warning doesn't imply illegality -- merely something
    suspicious that the user might want to take a close look at.

See page 65, in the middle.
--Guy